Are you super busy, always tired, and never seem to find the time to vacuum your home? Then you need an automatic vacuum. These tiny autonomous machines are your own little housemaid. They will vacuum all by themselves at set intervals so that you can come home to a clean and fresh house.
The trick with automatic vacuums, however, is that they are highly sophisticated and expensive. You have to go all-out when buying one, so make sure to get the best ones. With that, here are the best automatic vacuums of 2020.
1. iRobot 980
The iRobot Roomba 980 is rightly described as ‘the king of robot vacuums.’ iRobot was initially founded in 1990 by three engineers to make robotics systems for the US military.
This background in high-end military robotics gave the Roomba its edge. Since then, it has since been the most successful household robot vacuum (or robovac), with millions already sold.
- iAdapt 2.0 navigation system allows it to sense and avoid objects along its path. It also avoids steep gradients, stairs, and furniture lower than its height.
- VSlam Mapping: the Roomba 980 keeps a map of the room or house, including the location of doors, furniture, stairs, and other landmarks. It also knows where it has already cleaned, so that it can schedule much more intelligently
- Powerlift suction: the new Power Boost system delivers heavy-duty suction for pickup, which is especially useful on carpets.
- Flexible Dual Multi-Surface rubber brushes: these keep in constant contact with the surface being cleaned and are effective on caked-on soils.
- 120-minute runtime, after which it automatically recharges thanks to its dedicated docking station.
- App control compatible with iOS and Android.
- Compatible with Alexa or Google Assistant voice commands.
- WIFI-enabled: You can connect with the iRobot 980 from anywhere in the world to schedule cleans, even when you are away.
Pros and Cons
- Intelligent mapping and navigation make cleaning exhaustive and stress-free.
- Powerful suction.
- Multi-surface brushes are perfect for caked dirt and pet fur.
- Longer runtime.
- Advanced dirt detection system.
- Automatic recharging with a dedicated docking system.
- WIFI and voice activation control
- Very expensive.
- It has challenges dealing with cables.
The king of robovacs, the iRobot Roomba 980, is well worth the price. With continuous development and upgrades, it doesn’t get better than this.
2. Eufy RoboVac 11 Power Boost
Eufy RoboVac manages to pack fantastic value in a very affordable Robovac. If your budget is a bit strapped and you want high-end functionality, this is the automatic vacuum to buy. It is powerful and has a very low profile to get into those tight spaces.
What makes it so cheap, however, is that it lacks sophisticated electronics and sensors. Thus, no voice commands, intelligent map building, or even remote control since it has no WIFI. For the price it comes at, though, the EufyRoboVac is hard to beat.
- BoostIQ Technology: Automatic power boost increases the suction force when it comes across stubborn soils and rough surfaces.
- 3-Point Cleaning System: A main rolling brush, two side brushes, and powerful suction work together to give a thorough clean. The brushes counter-rotate for effective cleaning and dirt pooling.
- Low profile: the Eufy 11 Power Boost is only 3.4 inches tall, allowing it to get under furniture easily.
- 100-minute battery capacity, which reduces to 60 minutes in Boost mode. You have to charge it manually when the battery is depleted.
- It works on laminate, wood, tile, and low-pile carpet. However, it doesn’t work on high-pile carpets, which can entangle it. You also have to get loose cables out of the way.
- Automatic cleaning: It has auto-clean scheduling in multiple modes to suit your home.
- 11 infrared sensor for anti-collision navigation.
- Remote control navigation for easy navigation and time scheduling.
Pros & Cons
- Very affordable.
- Effective anti-collision system on all sides.
- The powerful suction system will pick all soils typically found in a home.
- The 3-point brush system breaks up caked dirt.
- Automatic recharging.
- Scheduled cleaning times.
- Poor battery life, especially on burst mode.
- It lacks intelligent navigation and mapping.
For an affordable and effective automatic vacuum, buy the Eufy BoostIQ RoboVac 11+. It is the second generation in its series, and will give you serious value for your money.
3. Miele Scout RX2
The Miele Scout RX2, also called the Home Vision Robot Vacuum, is a high-end automatic vacuum cleaner with some innovative and sophisticated features no other one has. For instance, it features cameras all round that stream live feeds to your smartphone so that you can see what it sees. If you are away from home, you can send it to ‘scout’ out your home security.
Beneath the fancy topping lies industrial-quality cleaning power. Referred to as Quattro cleaning power, it combines with extra-powerful suction to give your home a deep cleaning every time.
- Quattro cleaning power: Two side brushes and one rotary main brush rotate counter to each other to break up stubborn soils and pick up dirt.
- 3D smart navigation: A stereo camera system and navigation system all round the Miele Scout allow it to map your home for more intelligent cleaning.
- Interactive mapping: you can annotate different rooms so that the Scout always knows where it is, or where to go.
- Carpet Boost: It has sensors to detect the type of floor or floor covering. This way, it can adjust cleaning modes to suit different types of floors.
- 120-minute run time: A lithium-ion battery gives it a no-fade 2-hour runtime. It goes back to the charging dock automatically when it detects the charge getting low.
- Live image transmission: this vacuum gives you live camera feeds from all cameras, no matter where you are. These are securely accessible via encrypted channels on the Miele app on your phone or tablet.
- 5-liter dust bin capacity with an AirClean Plus filter to avoid dust.
Pros & Cons
- Intelligent 3D mapping and navigation.
- Powerful Quattro cleaning leaves no dirt behind.
- It is a security system in its own right, thanks to the camera system.
- Long runtime with automatic recharging.
- WIFI connectivity with app control.
- It picks up pet hair perfectly.
- Image quality from the cameras is inferior.
- Camera image streaming is flaky.
- It is noisy on boost mode.
The Miele Scout can certainly benefit from a few improvements, especially regarding its software. Still, despite the price, it is one of the most innovative and sophisticated robovacs.